[Freegis-list] Suggestions for web mapping system?
rory.temp at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 02:15:28 CET 2004
I'm new to gis and a little overwhelmed by all the freegis systems,
data, etc available so I'm looking for some pointers for a system I'd
like to build.
What I want to make is a (non-commercial) website to display Wifi
coverage in the UK, in particular London. Assuming I gather a list of
all these wireless transmitter nodes and information about where they
are and their approximate coverage range I want to draw maps showing
the nodes and their coverage zones, overlaid upon a street map of
london. People should be able to click on a node to get various
details about it, zoom in and out, pan, etc. They should also be able
to enter their location and see a map showing the nearby nodes.
People might also want to filter out nodes based on properties like
whether they're free, whether they're in a cafe / bar, etc.
There are some sites out there that pretty much do this, for example
www.totalhotspots.com. However, they all seem a bit dumb in some way
or another, and/or they're oriented towards pay-for services instead
of free wireless.
So my questions are:
- Anyone know anything exactly like this?
- Anyone know of similar applications using freegis that I could look at?
- What freegis software should I use to do this?
- What free data is available for street maps in london? (preferably
whole of the UK)
- If full streetmap data isn't freely available, how about just some
coarse features like parks, main roads, anything that will be better
than just circles on a blank background?
- Any recommended reference material for a newbie to GIS that would
be useful for this sort of application?
- Anything else I should know or questions I should have asked?
thanks in advance,
More information about the Freegis-list